This is the English Toffee recipe that I learned to make when I was about 12 years old. I consider this to be my recipe, since I have made it all these years. Feel free to make it, but as you eat it think: Julee’s toffee recipe sure is good! 😉
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Grease the bottom and sides of a square 9″ x 9″ x 2″ pan.
- Spread chopped pecans evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Mix sugar and butter in a medium sauce pan. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Continuing to stir, boil over medium heat for 7 minutes. The mixture should reach the hard crack stage.
- Spread mixture evenly over the nuts. (This is very hot, be careful!)
- Layer chocolate chips over hot sugar mixture and cover with a metal baking sheet to melt chocolate.
- When the chocolate is melted, spread evenly of sugar mixture.
- Cut candy into 1 1/2 in squares
- Chill until firm