is for Aspiring
A godly woman has aspirations, she has a plan. Being a godly woman doesn’t just happen on it’s own, it has to be what you are about, what you are putting your time into.
The older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things- that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. – Titus 2:3-5
Here in Titus chapter 2, Paul is writing to Titus and giving him a lot of instructions. Tell the old men this, teach the young men that, remind them to submit to authorities, etc. There are a lot of instructions and here in chapter two Paul is telling Titus what to teach the women. The older women are being reminded of some pitfalls and they are being commanded to teach.
We are all older women and younger women – the point is we need to be teachers and we need to be taught, we need to be learning.
I’m a homeschool mom so I’m always looking for learning opportunities. Homeschool moms are notorious for taking something fun and turning it into a learning lesson!
You find a bug on the ground? Let’s learn about it!
You ask me why the sky is blue? Let’s study it and then, for fun, we can write a paper on it!! Yay!
We need to be the same way. Being a woman of God needs to always be in the forefront of our minds. We are learning, seeking to be taught, seeking Gods will for our life as a woman. Our lives will never speak a good testimony to the younger women watching us and LEARNING from us, if we don’t put some serious effort into it.
What does that mean practically?
1. You are in God’s word. It’s never going to come out unless you put it in. It’s like that analogy of the ketchup bottle, when it is squeezed, whatever is inside comes out. You expect to find ketchup come out of a ketchup bottle and it’s the same way with you and me, whatever we put in is what is going to come out when the squeezing of hard times or even just husbands and toddlers comes along.
Get God’s word in so that it will be what is coming out! Be in bible studies at home and in the body, listen to studies on your computer or iPod. Read verses while you do dishes, listen to bible studies while you drive. Be creative, just get the word in so that THE WORD will come out!
2. You’re putting time into learning how to be a godly woman.
That’s time in God’s word, time reading books about being a godly woman, spending time with older women and gleaning from them.
- Seek out your moms, aunts, grandmas, older women at church – examine their lives, emulate them.
- Read books examine the lives of women like Elizabeth Elliot and Amy Carmichael.
- Make a book list – 5 books I’m going to read in the next year maybe you’ll pick one on godly women, one on parenting, one on marriage, one on home cleaning, whatever you choose, just be intentional about it.
Remember, you have to have a plan!
A quick aside about having time or enough time. I’m not going to list all that I do with my six kids, but you and I both know that we make time for what is important to us.
We have time waiting for gas, for appointments, for dinner to cook or be handed to us…
If you watch a tv show regularly, you have time.
If you talk on the phone regularly, you have time.
If you go on Facebook at all, you have time.
Consider the student that is in college and serious about her studies, she always has a book in her hand or study sheets or index cards. It’s about what your priority is and we’ll talk about that more later.
The point is…
for the sake of your husband,
for the sake of your marriage,
for the sake of your children,
for the sake of your ministry,
for the sake of your friendships,
for the sake of your walk with God…
You have time,
You make time.